Your home office will likely contain your important paperwork and legal papers.
Set these aside beforehand and plan to take them with you. Computer equipment
and other valuables that exceed $100 per pound will need to be listed on your
"High Value Inventory" form to receive proper valuation coverage.
Back up all files on a floppy disc, CD or tape and take with you.
If your home copier is larger than desk size, it must be serviced by a
professional before transport.
- Remove the paper tray and cartridge.
- Secure the document cover, exit tray and alternate paper tray before
- If your unit comes with shipping pins, which keep the internal parts in
place during transit, they should be removed from the storage location on the
document cover and placed according to directions in the owner's
The toner and laser cartridges of any laser printer should be removed. Dispose
of them safely and get new ones at your destination. On other types of printers,
the print head should be secured by a professional, with preparation depending
on the model.
Select an item and pack it right!
Pack books of the same general size together, in small book cartons.
- Pack them either flat, or with the spine touching the bottom of the carton.
Do not pack with spine facing upward, as glue can break away from the binder.
- Expensively bound volumes of those of sentimental value should be individually
wrapped before packing.
Any modular office furniture will need to be dismantled prior to move day.
Use tape to mark where pieces go together and keep the hardware together
(including drawer pulls) in one spot, like a plastic bag or coffee can.